How to improve children's brain health with Dr Hokehe Eko, MDJan 23, 2023
by Dr Ruth Allan | Mon 23 Jan 23
Dr Hokehe Eko, MD joins Dr Ruth Allan on Episode 063 and the third episode of Season 4 of her show 'Brain Health: Unchaining Your Pain'
Dr Eko - a Mum, Paediatrician, TEDx Speaker and Non-Profit Founder is passionate about helping both children and adults boost their brain health so that they can thrive in every area of life
She loves to help children with ADHD go from fidgety to focused by addressing the root causes of their behaviour
In this episode Dr Eko talks about the impact of a child's environment, sleep and nutrition on their cognitive function, and we both share some of our own personal stories as parents
Dr Eko describes her journey to becoming a paediatrician following multiple concussions as a child, and what inspired her to focus on children's brain health
I loved this conversation as it was a wonderful dynamic between us. Dr Eko provided such great insights for parents who are struggling with a child that has ADHD. There were many moments where we laughed out loud about our own life experiences - by the end my cheeks were hurting
If you have been affected by any of the topics discussed in this episode please connect with me so I can find the appropriate support for you
Please like and share this blog to any parents or carers who need support to learn how to improve their child's cognitive health
Be sure to rate and review this episode on any podcasting platform. Share your view - tell us what you enjoyed or loved about the show here or leave a podcast review on Apple Podcasts by visiting the link below!
Listen to Episode 063 with Dr Hokehe Eko, MD on Apple Podcasts
Disclaimer: The content in the podcast and on this webpage is not intended to constitute, or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Connect with Dr Hokehe Eko, MD
Connect with Dr Ruth Allan
- Connect here to learn more about programs to support you in recovering from head trauma, restoring your cognitive function and optimising your brain power and performance
- Visit the Wellbeing Warrior Academy to learn how we can support you, your family and your organisation in taking charge of, and optimising, your brain and whole body health
- Access all Episodes of the show 'Brain Health - Unchaining Your Pain'
Related episodes, books, topics and events
- Episode 010 of 'Brain Health - Unchaining Your Pain' with Fallon Jordan
- Amen Clinics
- Microbiome YouTube video - to educate your child about their gut
- Brain Warrior's Way course
- Kits of Hope
Discussed in this podcast
- 02.45 - Having kinder conversations with children about their behaviour by approaching through the lens of brain health
- 03.25 - Feeding your children's soldier's in their gut
- 04.45 - God's candy
- 05.20 - Optimal brain health for Dr Eko - being aware of who she is and where she is with regards to circumstances in life, recognising what is in her control and what's not, being authentic to herself
- 07.15 - Dr Eko's brain health journey from several concussions to becoming a paediatrician
- 08.40 - How someone's comment can change your outlook about yourself: choose who you listen to!
- 17.45 - The importance of understanding how your child learns and tailoring the learning appropriately
- 18.40 - Dr Eko's learning preferences
- 20.20 - Dr Eko's transition from paediatrician to brain health
- 22.10 - Functional medicine for children with ADHD
- 23.10 - The story of a 12 year old girl diagnosed with ADHD: addressing the environmental toxins of black mould
- 28.10 - It's ESE - Eat, Sleep, Environment!
- 31.55 - Courage to be your authentic self
- 40.30 - Parental support for children with brain health struggles
- 41.30 - Fun FACTS: the feelings that are most important to Dr Hokehe and why - peace
- 42.35 - Giving yourself permission
- 43.50 - The most important or rewarding thing Dr Eko has ever done: saying 'yes' to herself
- 46.05 - The most important value that guides Dr Eko in life: truth
- 48.30 - Thoughts that Dr Eko told herself in the past that aren't true
- 53.05 - Why resilience is so important for Dr Eko
- 55.57 - Resilience in incremental steps.
Please note this show is for educational purposes only. If you need professional support to optimise your brain and whole body health, please contact us directly or speak to your healthcare professional.
DISCLAIMER: Please always seek the advice of your general practitioner or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have heard on the podcast or on my website.