How to recognise and recover from Autoimmune Brain DisordersDec 05, 2022
by Dr Ruth Allan | 05 December 2022
Dr Shimasaki is a scientist and inventor with a passion to translate scientific and medical discoveries into acutely needed products so that more patients can live longer, healthier lives
He is the cofounder and CEO of Moleculera Labs, a neuroimmunology precision medicine company focused on identifying the underlying roots of neurologic, psychiatric, and behavioural disorders triggered by an autoimmune response
Dr Shimasaki started his career at Genentech and continued to work across all stages of research, development, clinical trials, and regulatory approval of technology from bench-to-bedside, and has spent over 35 years working in the fields of molecular biology, viral pathogenesis, and infection-triggered neuropsychiatric disorders
His research work includes epitope mapping of HIV proteins, genetic-based predictors of breast cancer risk, influenza and RSV diagnostics and therapeutics, and for the past 10 years, the pathogenesis of infection-triggered neuropsychiatric disorders
He has co-founded multiple companies and led multiple products through the FDA approval process and is a co-inventor on multiple patents. Dr Shimasaki received his BS in Biochemistry from the University of California at Davis, his PhD in Molecular Biology from the University of Tulsa, and his MBA from Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Business
He is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Oklahoma. Internationally, he teaches and mentors scientists, physicians and biotech leaders in how to translate their discoveries into acutely needed medical interventions
In this episode Dr Shimasaki shares his wisdom on Autoimmune Brain Disorders and how to recognise and address them. He talks about the challenges in applying the appropriate treatment, the common symptoms experienced and the impact on your brain when your immune system starts to attack it when your antibodies cross the blood-brain barrier
He discusses the typical triggers, and introduces what PANS/PANDAs is and the symptoms that typically occur in children. He describes how an autoimmune response that triggers brain dysfunction is often not through one trigger, but multiple. He discusses what molecular mimicry is and how this response impacts how we function, and the importance of addressing the underlying infections, rather than just suppressing the immune system
Dr Shimasaki describes the typical symptoms that people present with as children and adults and the challenge of uncovering the root causes
This was such an insightful episode for me as it's a subject that needs much greater attention across the medical communities to provide hope and appropriate treatment avenues for all those suffering with an autoimmune brain disorder, that often goes undiagnosed or misdiagnosed
"If you can't take the research that is going on and translate it into helping someone, it's just great research."
"Don't give up hope and continue to look to find the answers. The answer is out there."
Please like and share this blog to help us provide hope to the thousands of people that are suffering needlessly.
If you have been affected by any of the topics discussed in this episode please connect with us so we can find the appropriate support for you. Be sure to rate and review this episode on any podcasting platform. Share your view - tell us what you enjoyed or loved about the show here!
Listen to Episode 058 with Dr Craig Shimasaki, PhD on Apple Podcasts
Disclaimer: The content in the podcast and on this webpage is not intended to constitute, or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Connect with Dr Craig Shimasaki, PhD
- Moleculera Labs | Academy of Nutritional Medicine (AONM) | Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | AONM Cunningham Panel | AONM PANS / PANDAS webinars
Connect with Dr Ruth Allan
- For more information about the programs Dr Ruth to optimise your unique brain and win back energy and time doing what you love by unchaining your pain, unlock the secrets to greater mental clarity and performance and unleash your full potential connect here
- Learn more about the Wellbeing Warrior Academy for you, your family and your organisation to support you in taking charge of your wellbeing
- Access all Episodes of the show 'Brain Health - Unchaining Your Pain'
Related episodes, books, topics and events
Discussed in this podcast
- 08.14 - Optimal Brain Health for Craig - physical, mental and spiritual impacts of our brain and mind
- 11.20 - What an autoimmune brain disorder is
- 20.50 - Typical root causes that triggers an autoimmune response
- 23.50 - The biggest contributor to the blood brain barrier being compromised
- 26.40 - Long COVID and the immune system's response - infection triggered autoimmune response
- 28.00 - Molecular mimicry and your genetic predisposition
- 35.00 - Examples of what people often present with when they have an autoimmune disorder, including a list of symptoms
- 39.00 - The story of Grace who wanted to kill herself, a patient of Craig's
- 43.15 - The reason why medicine can take so long to effect change and the importance of precision medicine
- 46.08 - A typical patient's journey
- 51.24 - Craig's one piece of advice for a parent or person struggling with getting any resolution to neurological conditions, where they think an autoimmune disorder could be at the root cause
Please note this show is for educational purposes only. If you need professional support to optimise your brain and whole body health, please contact us directly or speak to your healthcare professional.
DISCLAIMER: Please always seek the advice of your general practitioner or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have heard on the podcast or on my website.