Redefining Blind Ambition with Aaron GolubOct 24, 2022
by Dr Ruth Allan | 24 October 2022
Aaron became the first legally blind athlete to play American football in a Division 1 game when he was at Tulane University. He was a captain in his senior year and went on to also become an NFL free agent
Aaron has never let his limited vision get in the way of his success. His grit, determination and effort enabled him to earn a spot on the Tulane team, and the respect of his teammates, coaches and fans. Aaron began playing football in seventh grade and worked extremely hard to get where he is today
His goal is to show others that it doesn't matter what they are fighting or what their perceived limitations are; anything is achievable with hard work and tuning out the judgment of others. His planning, passion and perseverance enables him to be successful. Aaron has paved the way for others with disabilities, and shown that the impossible is possible
In this episode Aaron talks about how he has overcome typical stigmas and behaviours that can get in the way of you achieving optimal performance. He discusses the importance of making yourself a differentiator and to transform yourself into someone who is worth being mentored
I loved this episode as Aaron shows the art of what's possible, how it's important to accept who you are, and that the only barrier to achieving success is you
"Don't take criticism from someone you wouldn't take advice from"
If you have been affected by any of the topics discussed in this episode please connect with us so we can find the appropriate support for you.
Share your view - tell us what you enjoyed or loved about the show here!
Listen to Episode 052 with Aaron Golub on Apple Podcasts
Disclaimer: The content in the podcast and on this webpage is not intended to constitute, or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Connect with Aaron Golub
Connect with Dr Ruth
- For more information about how you can achieve optimal brain health and the programs Dr Ruth has to support you with unchaining, unlocking and unleashing your full potential, connect here
- Learn more about the Wellbeing Warrior Academy for you, your family and your organisation
- Access all Episodes of the show 'Brain Health - Unchaining Your Pain'
Related episodes, books and websites discussed during the episode
Discussed in this podcast
- 02.50 - Optimal brain health for Aaron Golub
- 09.20 - What can I do better every single day?
- 11.20 - Choosing who's opinion you listen to
- 13.50 - The blessing of being born legally blind
- 16.10 - The difference between internal and external motivators
- 22.00 - Key steps to become the best: trust the process and don't ever quit
- 23.44 - The hardest thing Aaron has had to overcome to get to where he is now
- 25.20 - The real influencers in Aaron's life: transforming yourself into someone who is 'worth' being mentored
- 32.25 - The most rewarding thing Aaron has ever done
- 33.10 - The most important value that guides Aaron in life
- 35.20 - Aaron's focus as an entrepreneur
- 36.05 - The biggest aspect of overcoming adversity - gratitude
- 40.40 - How to rebuff criticism: don't take criticism from someone you wouldn't take advice from
Please note this show is for educational purposes only. If you need professional support to optimise your brain and whole body health, please contact us directly or speak to your healthcare professional.
DISCLAIMER: Please always seek the advice of your general practitioner or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have heard on the podcast or on my website.