The importance of nitric oxide in cardiovascular and cognitive health | E82Sep 25, 2023
by Dr Ruth Allan | Released Mon 25 Sep 23
Dr Nathan S Bryan is an international expert in nitric biochemistry and molecular medicine. His more than 20 years in academic research led to many seminal discoveries, and has resulted in dozens of issued U.S. and International patents
Products from his innovations are the most successful nitric oxide products in the market and responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue around the globe and have improved patient care for more than a decade
In this episode Dr Bryan talks about why nitric oxide is so important for our cardiovascular and cognitive health, and the role it plays, with our brain being one of the main organs impacted by nitric oxide production. He talks about how nitric oxide is created and what insults we are imposing on our body to reduce our natural ability to generate it
Dr Bryan discusses the effect of nitric oxide on COVID, and why it's so important to prevent infection and reduce the ability of the spike protein to attack your cells. He also discusses what improvements have been observed when restoring nitric oxide production, from improvements in blood pressure, exercise performance, sexual function, brain health and cognition as well as regression of cardiovascular disease and reversing heart disease
I loved this episode as nitric oxide is such a fundamentally important redox signalling molecule that requires much greater attention to empower people to enhance and optimise their nitric oxide production for long term cognitive and cardiovascular health
Plus - and what is really important for me, is this is something we can teach at kindergarten and in schools. Educating children on why nitric oxide generation in our body is so important and what simple steps they can take to improve the generation of nitric oxide and eradicate the insults that are depleting our bodies of this vital cellular messenger.
Be sure to rate and review this episode on any podcasting platform. Share your view - tell us what you enjoyed or loved about the show here or leave a podcast review on Apple Podcasts by visiting the link below!
Listen to Episode 082 from Mon 25 Sep 23
Disclaimer: The content in the podcast and on this webpage is not intended to constitute, or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Connect with Dr Nathan Bryan
- Dr Nathan S Bryan's website - for more information about the science | N1O1 website to learn about the products - use the code DRRUTH at checkout to get 10% discount and free shipping in the USA on all products* | Instagram | LinkedIn | YouTube
Connect with Dr Ruth Allan
- Arrange a consultation
- Learn about the Wellbeing Warrior Academy and how we can support you, your family and your organisation in taking charge of, and optimising your brain and whole body health to live a healthier, happier life
Related episodes, books, topics and events
- Episode 028 of 'Brain Health: Unchaining Your Pain' - the Impact of COVID on our brain and whole body health with Dr Leo Galland, MD
- Episode 053 of 'Brain Health: Unchaining Your Pain' - Staying alive in toxic times with Dr Jenny Goodman
- Blog - How to strengthen your defences to winter viruses
Discussed in this podcast
- 1.40 - What Dr Bryan is passionate about in life right now
- 3.12 - Where Dr Bryan's science journey started: from research in biochemistry and falling in love with the concept of intellectual freedom, to being introduced to nitric oxide
- 5.13 - What nitric oxide is any why it's so important: with its main function to tell muscles to relax and dilate, enable oxygen delivery in red blood cells, preventing inflammation and oxidative stress and preventing immune system dysfunction, opening up blood supply and enhancing cellular communication, with the loss of nitric oxide being fundamental to many diseases
- 9.18 - How we make nitric oxide 1) via an enzyme in our endothelium, to prevent the hardening of arteries and keeping our blood vessels soft. Need to restore function of the enzyme in the endothelium and epithelium, 2) through diet, with foods enriched with nitrates
- 13.07 - Oral health and how the pathway works: 90 minutes after consuming green leafy vegetables you get a burst of nitric oxide in the stomach (providing we have stomach acid). If you eradicate bacteria from the mouth, you can't convert nitrate to nitrate. You need to have stomach acid. If you shut down stomach acid production with antacids, you can't break down nitrates. Simple steps to take: 1) Eat green leafy vegetables, 2) stop using mouthwash 3) stop using antacids.
- 17.45 - Advice on what do if you have sceptics that disagree in the stopping of mouthwash and fluoride in toothpaste, a known neurotoxin, which also destroys your thyroid function. Note - fluoride is a poison - get fluoride free toothpaste and filter your water system
- 23.50 - What optimal brain health means for Dr Bryan: to be able to communicate, to build relationships, to express love, to serve others and direct our own thoughts. To be able to function, process the insults that happen on a daily basis, integrate them and not let them bother us: to not worry about things that we can't control
- 26.05 - The importance of nitric oxide in our brain, the symptoms we experience when we are deficient and how that impacts us. The brain is one of the main organs affected by nitric oxide. 1) Nitric oxide controls the regulation of blood flow in our brain, 2) Nitric oxide is a neurotransmitter (a retro-grade messenger), controlling glutamate and other neurotransmitters. Low levels of nitric oxide can be responsible for conditions such as vascular dementia and psychotic disorders.
- 29.45 - Developing safe and effective nitric oxide technology for those that can't generate nitric oxide effectively: how Dr Bryan and his team developed this oral and topical products, focusing on restorative physiology
- 33.35 - Improvements noticed in vascular health restoring nitric oxide: improvement in blood pressure, improvement in exercise performance, improvements in mitochondrial function and sexual function, improvement in brain health and cognition, regression of cardiovascular disease, reversing heart disease
- 35.30 - Long COVID and the effect of nitric oxide: down-regulating the ACE receptor so there is less for the spike protein to bind to
- 38.25 - Issues with the mRNA vaccine: didn't prevent transmission or stop people from getting sick
- 40.00 - What's next with regards to nitric oxide and supporting people enhance and optimise their health
- 42.30 - Alzheimer drug development: addressing the root cause of disease
- 44.00 - The next 30 years of medicine: redox signalling biochemistry and focusing on cellular communication. Analogy - ordering products on Amazon with no delivery mechanism
- 46.50 - Elevating our own baseline health level to restore nitric oxide: 1) stop doing the things that disrupt it: a) stop using mouthwash, b) remove fluoride from your toothpaste and water supply, c) stop taking antacids; 2) start doing the things that promote it: a) eat green and leafy vegetables, b) Ensure you have 20-30mins sunlight exposure each day, c) moderate physical exercise
- 52.45 - Dr Nathan's advice for anyone concerned about having nitric oxide deficiency
- 53.39 - Visit www.n1o1.com and enter the coupon code DRRUTH to get 10% discount and free shipping within the USA.
Please note this show is for educational purposes only. If you need professional support to optimise your brain and whole body health, please contact us directly or speak to a healthcare professional you can trust.
DISCLAIMER: Please always seek the advice of your general practitioner or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have heard on the podcast or on my website.
Disclosure: All items marked with a * are hyperlinked to an affiliate program. Dr Ruth Allan takes part in several affiliate programs, designed to provide a way for her to earn fees by linking to other company websites. You are not charged any extra by using these links.