Healing Military Related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with Jon-Paul deLangeFeb 15, 2023
by Dr Ruth Allan | LIVE 27 February 2023| released on podcasting platforms 06 Mar 23
Jon-Paul deLange joins Dr Ruth Allan LIVE in Episode 068 of her show 'Brain Health: Unchaining Your Pain' to share his journey to healing his military-connected Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
A career Army officer and devoted husband, father, and Opa, Jon-Paul spent 45 years serving his country in elite units like the Army’s Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg, NC, the 25th Infantry Division (Light) in Hawaii, and the Joint IED Defeat Organization
With more than two dozen deployments to places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Kosovo, the Philippines, and Haiti, he witnessed the effects of extreme human suffering around the world firsthand
He discovered he had service-connected PTSD on his own 11 years after he retired. When he was diagnosed, he was in denial, wondering “How could this happen to me?” Exploring the social impact, public policy and stigma surrounding PTSD what he discovered was stunning:
- 220 Veterans will die by suicide in the United States over the next ten days. About 8,000 will take their life before the end of this year
- It's not just the service member that suffers. Families feel the pain from its effects too
- Trauma that is witnessed can be just as damaging as the trauma that is experienced
- Service members are often on their own to discover if they have PTSD
- The fear created by the stigma around PTSD in the armed forces keeps it in the dark
In this episode Jon-Paul discusses his own healing journey and how he's combined his experience to develop his own coaching practice for Veterans and their families. We talk about the importance of recognising psychological trauma as a wound - much like a physical wound, rather than considering it as a 'disorder'
We discuss how to address the military stigma associated with trauma, in particular post traumatic stress, to make the appropriate treatment available to those that need it to heal their wounds
His goal is to raise awareness of the presence of traumatic stress across our society and dissolve the stigmas around PTSD so that more people are less afraid to get the help they need
If you need professional support to address a past trauma or unhelpful experience, you can book trauma recovery coaching now, contact us directly to discuss your needs, or speak to your healthcare professional. Remember - you are not stuck with the brain you have, you have the power to make it better
Please like and share this blog to help inspire those that are struggling with past trauma or unhelpful experiences that help is available right now to get you started on your journey to healing your brain
Be sure to rate and review this episode on any podcasting platform. Share your view - tell us what you enjoyed or loved about the show here or leave a podcast review on Apple Podcasts by visiting the link below!
Please note - For all programmes offered on the website, MILITARY discount is available to all military personnel past and present, as well as their families. Please enquire for more details
Listen to Episode 068 with Jon-Paul deLange on Apple Podcasts
Disclaimer: The content in the podcast and on this webpage is not intended to constitute, or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Connect with Jon-Paul deLange
Connect with Dr Ruth Allan
- Book Trauma Recovery Coaching now to unchain your pain from a past trauma or unhelpful experience - available either as an individual or in group sessions. Designed to ensure there is no waiting list to get the support you need
- Visit the Wellbeing Warrior Academy to learn how we can support you, your family and your organisation in taking charge of, and optimising, your brain and whole body health
- Book a free 15 minute consultation to discuss your needs
- Access all Episodes of the show 'Brain Health - Unchaining Your Pain'
Related episodes, books, topics and events
- IED - Improvised Explosive Device
- JIO - Joint IED Organisation
- What is Havening?
- Episode 025 'Beating Stage 4 Terminal Cancer with Mark Edmondson'
- Brené Brown
- EMDR - Eye Movement, Desensitisation and Reprocessing
- Episode 066 'Chinook Crew Chick: The Highs and Lows of Military Life with Liz McConaghy'
- The National Centre for PTSD
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Episode 049 'TBI Help Now with Dr Mark Gordon, MD'
- Amen Clinics
Discussed in this episode
- 03.16 - Jon-Paul's passion
- 05.45 - The stigmas associated with post traumatic stress in the military
- 06.27 - Treating trauma like a wound - acknowledging that there are different types of wound we experience: emotional, physical, mental and spiritual pain
- 09.05 - Jon-Paul's indicator that he had post traumatic stress
- 14.40 - Trauma's being expressed as triggers: when our body shouts because our mind isn't listening
- 16.21 - What somatic experiencing is and how it works
- 20.10 - Trauma: controlling what is going on inside of you as a result of what happens to you
- 21.45 - Understanding how our five senses encode the information from our surroundings when we experience a trauma and finding the right approach that works for you
- 28.17 - Trauma triggers
- 31.40 - The necessity of releasing traumas: starting with acknowledging it
- 35.35 - The importance of being vulnerable - a place for innovation and change
- 37.02 - Leaders embracing trauma as a wound: understanding how it shows up at work and the conditions at work that exacerbate trauma
- 40.00 - Establishing a more effective workforce through healing the wounds inside and out
- 42.35 - Optimal brain health for Jon-Paul
- 48.20 - Fun FACTS with Jon-Paul
- 56.08 - The trauma tree: where it took root for Jon-Paul
- 59.45 - The suicide statistics for military personnel
- 1.00.25 - Steps to be taken to enhance organisational support to heal from trauma.
Please note this show is for educational purposes only. If you need professional support to optimise your brain and whole body health please contact us directly or speak to your healthcare professional.
DISCLAIMER: Please always seek the advice of your general practitioner or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have heard on the podcast or on my website.